Sunday

2012 Commentary: This Virginia Voter is Unhappy with Republicans and Democrats

Abstract: I live in the battleground state of Virginia. I recently decided to vote for a third party candidate in the upcoming presidential elections. I give my reasons for this choice in the article.

I live in the battleground state of Virginia. I recently decided to vote for a third party candidate in the upcoming presidential election. I do not feel that I can support either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney for president. Neither candidate has shown me that he can work with Congress to solve our nation's problems. At the same time, I want to publicly voice my displeasure with both parties over their inability to work together to pass important legislation.

I do not think that either candidate would be able to craft bipartisan legislation if he were elected president. Obama has already demonstrated that he is unable to convince Republicans to work with him on important issues. I do not feel that Romney would have any more luck than Obama when it comes to handling the opposition. He would have immense difficulty creating legislation that would appeal to moderate Democrats without alienating staunch conservatives. I cannot in good conscience vote for a candidate if I do not believe he can push important, bipartisan bills through Congress.

To some extent, neither candidate is to blame for this problem. Republicans and Democrats in the House and Senate too often are unwilling to compromise on issues that are vital to the nation. Even the most capable leader might find it difficult to get the two sides to work together.

I have a responsibility as an American citizen to let both Republicans and Democrats know how I feel about the gridlock on Capitol Hill. I think the best way for me to voice my opinion is through my vote. I realize that my third party candidate (whoever I choose) will not win. Nonetheless, the two parties might take notice if enough people in battleground states vote for a third party candidate. If nothing else, I can take pride in the fact that I had the courage to vote my conscience.

So after many months of careful thought, I have decided to vote for a third party candidate on Election Day. I realize that he will not win; however, I cannot in good conscience vote for either Obama or Romney. I also feel that I can use my vote to voice my displeasure with both Republicans and Democrats for creating the gridlock on Capitol Hill.

-- Anthony Hopper

#politics #president #Obama #Republicans #GOP #Democrats #opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment