Friday

Why One Sports Fan Prefers the NFL over MLB

Abstract: I enjoy watching Major League Baseball contests. However, I am a much bigger fan of the National Football League. If I have a choice between watching a MLB game or a NFL matchup, I will usually opt for the NFL game. Here are five reasons why.

I enjoy watching Major League Baseball contests. However, I am a much bigger fan of the National Football League. If I have a choice between watching a MLB game or a NFL match-up, I will usually opt for the NFL game.

Here are five reasons why I prefer the NFL over MLB:

Fantasy Sports: I will be honest, my intense interest in the NFL is due in large part to the fact that I play fantasy football. I love every aspect of fantasy football from the draft preparation to the weekly player research. I will tune into any NFL game as long as I have a fantasy athlete on one of the teams. As a case in point, I plan on watching the mediocre Miami Dolphins take on the hapless Tennessee Titans on Sunday, Nov. 11 (assuming the local bar is carrying the game). I am not a fan of either team. However, I have the Dolphins' Reggie Bush on one of my fantasy football squads. I want to watch as the running back carries my fantasy team to victory in Week 10.

I have not played fantasy baseball in years. As a result, I do not have any incentive to watch MLB games pitting two bad teams against each other.

Fewer Games: MLB teams play 162 regular season games each year, which dilutes the value of any one contest. By contrast, NFL teams only play 16 games during the regular season. As a result, I find that a regular season game in the NFL is usually much more compelling than one involving MLB teams. Just ask the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles. Both teams are 3-5 at the midway point of the 2012 NFL season. Any hopes of making the postseason will likely end for the loser of this game. By contrast, the San Francisco Giants lost 68 regular season games in 2012, yet still managed to make the MLB postseason and win the World Series.

Hard Hits: I really enjoy watching NFL players tackle each other. I look forward to seeing a hard hit by a defensive end or an exciting touchdown-saving tackle by a cornerback. I do not get the same adrenaline rush from watching a batter slide into base or an outfielder dive to snag a ball. Would you rather watch the New York Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul put a bone crushing hit on a quarterback or the Cincinnati Reds' Billy Hamilton make a nice catch in the outfield?

More Ways to Score: I find NFL games exciting in part because teams have several ways to score points. They can kick a field goal, score a touchdown, get a safety, execute a two point conversion (after a touchdown) or kick an extra point. By contrast, MLB players can only score by touching home base.

Potential for Exciting Plays: A big part of the reason I watch NFL games is to see offensive players try to avoid being tackled by their opponents. I am on the edge of my seat when a wide receiver spins out of a tackle or a when a running back makes a juke move to get past a defender. I do not get the same satisfaction from watching a MLB player sliding into base to avoid a tag. There is nothing sweeter than watching a player like the Green Bay Packers' Randall Cobb running a kickoff back for a touchdown.

The author is an avid sports fan. His favorite teams are the Pittsburgh Steelers (in football) and the Atlanta Braves (in baseball).

-- Anthony Hopper

#fantasyfootball #football #NFL #fantasy #scoring

No comments:

Post a Comment