Saturday

Top 10 Reasons Why I Am Thankful to Be an Atlanta Braves Fan

Abstract: Thanksgiving is only a few days away. I am thankful for many things, including the fact that I am an Atlanta Braves fan. Here are 10 reasons why I am glad that the Braves are my favorite team.

Atlanta Braves' Statue of Liberty promotion (1).
Thanksgiving is only a few days away. As I get ready to celebrate the holiday, I have to take a moment to consider how fortunate I am to have my health, my friends, and my family. I am also extremely lucky to be a fan of the Atlanta Braves.

Here are 10 reasons why I am thankful to be a Braves fan:

1. The Braves Were on TBS: When I was growing up in the late-1980s and early-1990s, my dad and I would spend our summer nights watching the Braves games on TBS. Looking back on it, we got a chance to spend quality time together doing something we loved. Who would not be thankful for that opportunity?

2. The Braves Have Been Really Good: The Braves have made the playoffs 16 times since 1991. They have won a World Series and five NL pennants during that stretch.

3. Dale Murphy: I am glad that I had the chance to watch the Braves' Dale Murphy play ball. I looked up to him when I was young. I admired his athletic ability, his love of the game, and, most importantly, his commitment to his family. I wish Murphy had played his entire career in Atlanta.

4. Chance to Watch a Legend: I am truly thankful that I had the opportunity to watch one of the all-time Braves greats, Chipper Jones, play out his entire MLB career.

5. Great Announcers: I grew up watching Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren broadcast Braves games on TBS. Listening to them speak, I sometimes felt like I was in the stands instead of at home watching the game on television.

6. A Superb Manager: I am thankful that the Braves hired Bobby Cox midway through the 1990 season. He helped transform the team from a perennial loser into a powerhouse. I was sad to see Cox call it quits after the 2010 season. At least he retired as a Brave.

7. The Braves Moved to Atlanta: I am glad the Braves moved from Milwaukee to Atlanta in 1966. I adopted the Braves as my favorite team in part because they played in the South. I doubt I would have become attached to the organization if it had remained in Wisconsin.

8. Ted Turner: I am thankful that Ted Turner bought the Atlanta Braves in 1976. I might never have had the opportunity to watch the Braves play on TBS if Turner had not purchased the franchise when he did.

9. The Braves Continue to Win: I am thankful that the organization remains committed to putting winning teams on the field. I hope the Braves continue to be successful for decades to come.

10. The Memories: Regardless of what happens in the future, I am thankful to the Braves organization for providing me with lots of memories. I can cherish them for a lifetime.

Sources:

Baseball-Reference

Mark Bowman.Historic Braves-TBS Partnership to End. Atlanta Braves official website.

1. Photographer: Marianne O'Leary
    Date: July 11, 2008
    Title/Description: Atlanta Braves Statue of Liberty, promotion for 2008 MLB All-Star Game.
    Location/Permission: Wikimedia Commons - Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license
    (see title/link for photo, credit, permissions).

The author has followed Major League Baseball for many years and is a fan of the Atlanta Braves.

-- Anthony Hopper

#MLB #baseball #Atlanta #Braves #AtlantaBraves #Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment