Wednesday

Hurray for Wikimedia Commons!

I am probably the only blogger on here who didn't know about Wikimedia Commons.  I just recently learned that the site existed and am excited.  For anyone out there who doesn't know.  Per Wikimedia's site, it is "a media file repository making available public domain and freely-licensed educational media content."  It contains millions of files.  In short, I have access to a large database of free-to-use photos and art, so I no longer have to rely on Microsoft clip art or my own pictures (which are few and far between).  The only thing I will have to do in order to use these photos/art is to credit the author, list a copyright, and insert the caption that he/she posited on Wikimedia.  Again, I am sure that all of you already know this information, but I did not (and I am excited).  So, to celebrate, I have posted two of the Wikimedia photos that I really liked below (along with attribute/credits).  

Also, if you would like to visit Wikimedia Commons, click on this link: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page










 Description: Gewitterfront
Date July 10, 2004
Source http://photosforfree.de/
Author  Rolf van Melis (User:RvM)
Permission (Multi-license with GFDL and Creative Commons CC-BY 2.5) 







Description: asilomar
Author: Dan Bennett from Seattle, USA  http://www.flickr.com/people/38518750@N00
Date: June 19, 2009, 21:11 
License to use: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License (go here to learn more about Creative Commons' licenses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons)

5 comments:

  1. Actually, didn't know about it either. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel a little embarassed at not knowing this. i sure do now, thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of it either. Thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I could help out. :-) and thanks Chantel re: the pics. :-)

    I think my next step is to try to redesign my blog...maybe I can finish that project on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete